[fusion_text]The Generation Homework Club is a free after school program for elementary students in Grades 4–7 that provides assistance with homework and fun activities. The program is run after school out of local schools and libraries.
GHC is also a great opportunity for volunteers. Many youth and young adult volunteers have become role models and community leaders as they learn tutoring, communication, leadership, organization, mentorship, conflict resolution, time management and teamwork skills. Learn more about volunteering at CCS.
- Homework club tutor-mentors are local high school students, post-secondary students or adult volunteers who have been fully trained to provide exceptional mentoring support
- Typically students in GHC will meet with their tutors from 3:30pm to 5:00pm and spend approximately 50 minutes to an hour on school work
- Whenever possible we work toward a 1:1 ratio between tutors and students
- Each session will have team building activities which enrich the students social skills, leadership and overall confidence
- Free, light refreshments are provided for each session
- Parents are required to arrange transportation for their children before and after each session
Why Choose Us?
- Allows kids to participate in various sports/recreational activities, expand their leadership skills and develop positive relationships.
- Is a multi-generational program that positively impacts all participants and the community.
- Provides opportunities for children to reach their full potential in education and life with academic support and asset development.
- Focuses on asset development indicators from the Search Institute to measure outcomes for students and youth volunteers. There is a strong correlation between the number of assets a child or youth has and the resiliency they display.
- Low-income families of the GHC participants feel secure and comfortable knowing that their child has access to quality assistance and after-school activities.
How to Participate
The GHC program is free and provides a space for elementary students who need additional tutoring/mentoring support. Priority is given to:
- Students who are falling behind in school and are at risk to repeat a grade
- Students who are referred by a teacher or school professional
- Students whose first language is other than English
- Students who face lack of family/social support and are experiencing challenges at home
- Students who are unable to hire a tutor/mentor due to financial hardship
- Parents: Parents can fill out the application form below to sign up your child. There are only 12 spaces per day and the program fills up quickly, so please register quickly and ensure your child can attend regularly.
Registration opens each fall and goes through until the end of the school year in June.
School professionals: School teachers, counselors, settlement workers and other school professionals may refer students who are in need of tutoring/mentoring support to this program. To refer a student, please fill out the referral form below.
We currently operate twice per week, at two locations:
- Brighouse Library (children’s area) 3:30pm – 5pm on Mondays
- Connections Community Service Society Office 3:30pm – 5pm on Thursdays
Contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 604.271.7600.[/fusion_text][fusion_text][/fusion_text][button link=”http://connectionscommunityservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/GHC-Registration-Form-2019-2020-Fillable.pdf” color=”default” size=”” stretch=”” type=”” shape=”” target=”_self” title=”” gradient_colors=”|” gradient_hover_colors=”|” accent_color=”” accent_hover_color=”” bevel_color=”” border_width=”1px” icon=”fa-file-pdf-o” icon_position=”left” icon_divider=”yes” modal=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ alignment=”left” class=”” id=””]Homework Club – Registration Form[/button][separator style_type=”none” top_margin=”1″ bottom_margin=”20″ sep_color=”” border_size=”” icon=”” icon_circle=”” icon_circle_color=”” width=”” alignment=”center” class=”” id=””][fusion_text]Click Here to access our Generation Homework Club brochure.
Click Here to access our Generation Homework Club Fall 2019 Session Flyer
Click Here if you are interested in Volunteering for Generation Homework Club[/fusion_text]