Generations Homework Club is a free after school program for elementary students in Grades 4–7 led by youth and young adult volunteers. We provide students assistance with their homework as well as offering other fun activities.
The Homework Club also provides a great opportunity for youth and young adults to become role models and community leaders as they learn tutoring, communication, leadership, organization, mentorship, conflict resolution, time management and teamwork skills.
Homework club tutor-mentors are local high school students, post- secondary students or adult volunteers who have been fully trained to provide exceptional mentoring support. Students meet with their tutors and spend approximately 50 minutes to an hour on schoolwork. Whenever possible, we work toward a 1:1 ratio between tutors and students. Each session will have team building activities which enrich the student’s social and leadership skills and overall confidence. Free, light refreshments are provided for each session Parents are required to arrange transportation for their children before and after each session.
How to participate.
The GHC program is free and provides a space for elementary students who need additional tutoring/mentoring support. Priority is given to:
- Students who are falling behind in school and are at risk to repeat a grade
- Students who are referred by a teacher or school professional Students whose first language is other than English
- Students who face lack of family/social support and are experiencing challenges at home
- Students who are unable to hire a tutor/mentor due to financial hardship
- Registration opens each fall and goes through until the end of the school year in June.